Younger Looking Hands Naturally…Here’s How!
Your hands are constantly exposed on a daily basis to the environment, therefore are prone to aging caused by many factors. Sun exposure, chemicals, detergents, excessive washing, and frequent use of sanitizer will cause our hands to age faster, combined with natural aging. We tend to have a routine of taking care of the skin on our face but neglect our hands more often than not. Therefore, the appearance of wrinkles on our hands takes away from our youthful appearance.
So Important Yet the Most Abused
Hands play an important role in our lives and they also have a huge impact on who we are. We greet people, wave hello, and hands enable us to perform so many duties and yet they are the most exposed and abused area of our body. However, we do little to maintain their appearance other than moisturize and go no further.
Suggested Lifestyle Changes
Here are some lifestyle changes to keep our hands looking youthful, follow these suggestions:
- Drink plenty of water.
- Moisturize hands regularly.
- Exfoliate your hands.
- Use retinol.
- Get hand peels.
- Take beta carotene supplements.
- Improve your diet.
- Use UVA/UVB sunscreen.
Natural and Easily Available Ingredients and Treatments
Here are some natural and easily available ingredients and treatments to help give your hands a more youthful appearance, as well as promote overall skin health:
- Apply Olive Oil: Olive oil nourishes the skin with vitamin E and fatty acids that elicit an increase in collagen formation, thus helping fade wrinkles.
(Take a small amount of olive oil, massage it into your hands 5 – 10 minutes before bedtime.)
- Use Coconut Oil: Coconut oil has high antioxidant content that combats free radicals.
(Heat virgin coconut oil. Massage into your hands for 5 minutes, cover your hands with gloves overnight.)
- Use Aloe Vera: Aloe Vera enables moisture retention in the skin. It improves skin hydration and elasticity.
(Apply aloe vera gel to hands. Massage in for a few minutes. Rinse off with lukewarm water after 15 minutes.)
- Use Honey: Honey contains moisturizing and antioxidant properties that can help prevent wrinkles, and naturally hydrate the skin, making it soft and smooth.
(Dab some honey on your hands, rinse off after 10 minutes. Repeat twice a day.)
- Use Bananas: Bananas are natural moisturizers. They are loaded with iron, zinc, potassium, magnesium, and vitamins A, B, and E.
(Mash an overripe banana and apply to your hands. Leave on for 30 minutes then rinse off with lukewarm water.)
- Use a Glycerin Soak: Glycerin is a humectant that helps retain skin moisture and aids in the treatment of wrinkles by making the skin smooth and soft.
(Mix 1 tsp of rosewater, glycerin, and lemon juice. Apply the mixture to your hands and massage in. Allow the mixture to be absorbed.)
- Apply a Paraffin Wax: Paraffin wax traps moisture by acting as a barrier. As a result, it makes the skin soft and supple.
(Melt some paraffin wax with mineral oil over a double boiler. Allow to cool slightly. Once the wax layer air-dries, dip your oiled hand into the wax for a few seconds. Once the wax layer air-dries dip your hands again. Repeat 4-5 times to achieve layers. Cover your hands with gloves. After 15-20 minutes remove the gloves and wipe off the wax.)
Finally, skin aging is a natural process. Since the skin on your hands is thin and sensitive it requires constant care to prevent wrinkles and other skin problems. Moreover, it is suggested to regularly use sunscreens, moisturizers, and mild cleansers daily. You can use the various natural remedies or in-office treatment, such as laser skin rejuvenation to help reduce existing wrinkles and prevent the formation of new ones.